Skip to main content

Little


22-year-old Mallory Boykin is a graduate from the University of Southern Mississippi.  She works as a speech therapist and tutor for the Hattiesburg school district. Boykin works at Grace Christian public School. Boykin is from a small town in Alabama. She is also the only child in her family.

Before Boykin became a teacher she was just a student at the University. She first decided to get involved with the community when she met a friend in her speech class. Her new friend introduced her to the organization Big Brothers Big sisters. At first Boykin wasn’t sure about the organization but once she met her new friend’s “little” she was sold that the organization was perfect for her.

Boykin was paired with a little girl named Keyasia Singleton.  She was in first grade when they met but now she is ten years old and in the third grade.

Soon after Boykin was paired with her “little,” she visited Singleton at school frequently. Boykin was there so often that she was offered a job at the elementary school.

Once Boykin became a teacher there it made her relationship with Singleton closer.  This was their start of a even better bond.

“Everyday, usually every evening she comes in my room with a smile on her face. So if I’m having a bad day it will lift me up a little more.” Boykin said.

Boykin reminisces about the first day she met Singleton and how shy her new little sister was. She’s excited that her little sister isn’t like that anymore.  
“She Is now apart of my family…. She really is truly my little sister.” Boykin says.

She describes her little in a few words as a little shy, a wonderful personality, a sweet girl and a leader.

Singleton is like any other ten-year-old girl. She enjoys hanging out with her friends after school and hanging out with her “big.” Singleton and Boykin agree that their favorite memory together is when they spent time at Boykins hometown in Alabama. Singleton enjoyed most the food that Boykin’s mom made. She also enjoyed the

Boykin also talks about enjoying the organization’s events the most. The organization host events ever so often and Boykin and her “little” try to attend as many as possible.

Boykin believes she has helped her most become more social. She pushed her to hang around children more often. She teaches her good behavior, being honest and being a good friend to her class mates.

Boykin says she can see Singleton being a big sister one day. She also believes that Singleton will be a great leader one day.

Singleton loves hanging out with her friends and her favorite subject is math.  She says she wants to be a math teacher when she grows up.

Singleton says her biggest problem in school used to be reading and language but ever since Boykin has been around she has improved greatly.

Singleton says she and Boykin hang out often. They go swimming, bowling, and much more. She expressed how happy she was to receive her long sleeved black and pink pajamas.

“Mallory comes and gets me and brings me presents,” says Singleton.

Singleton gets to be number one in the life of Boykin. Singleton comes from a big family of six other children. Boykin however, does not have any other children and is not married and she says this helps her give all her spare time to Singleton.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Halle Mosley Reports at Live At 5 event

On this very day I am.

A few days ago I felt so uncertain. I felt overwhelmed that my life may not actually turn out the way I desire it to. The next day I tried to keep myself busy in order to delay the thoughts of negativity. Then yesterday, I felt like things were actually getting better and although my busy schedule didn't change I don't feel as sad and unsure. Today, well today was the best day. It was full of laughs and certainty. This is hard. This roller coaster ride is not something I want to be on forever. My life motto is everything happens for a reason. Everything won't be peachy but I know it will have a reason behind it. If I could grab hold of those negative things and see them in new light then maybe my roller coaster rides wouldn't be so horrendous. Most of the time I make it through those terrible days by leaning closely to my family. I am the oldest of three girls. Their ages are fifteen, six, and four. They are my life and sometimes mistaken as my own, given, growing